ABOUT THE AUTHOR
J.A. George is the author of the four part series, GIFTED – THE HAYVEN SERIES. She spent years of her life reading book after book before sitting on her bed one morning, opening her laptop and typing Chapter One into a Word document. Now, not only does she read book after book, she writes book after book too. Usually with a large bar of chocolate by her side.
- What inspired you to write about a girl who is not the ‘chosen one’?
Two reasons! Firstly, I wrote Gifted because I wanted to read it. I wanted to read a book that didn’t feature a ‘chosen one’, a protagonist born into a dystopian society, or a girl who kicks butt on a daily basis, but rather someone who is more relatable. Secondly, I really wanted to point out that you don’t have to be a chosen one to make a difference. You can change the world for the better simply because you want to, not because fate made you.
- Now that you’ve actually written your first novel, do your friends and family treat you any different?
Haha! Not at all!
- Describe the hardships and rejections faced by you during your novel writing journey.
My main trouble was the one I gave myself. When I first wrote Gifted, I started out writing a book I’d enjoy reading, but as time went on and my publication date came closer, I stated to panic. I started to think about whether my book would sell and whether readers would like it enough. I ended up changing it completely and writing a book I thought other people would like but I hated. This resulted in me loathing the writing process which was so painful because before that, writing was my passion and my escape. After two years I gave up on trying to please others and instead went back to writing something I enjoyed reading and I’ve recovered that happiness I started off with”
- Do you believe you’re a published author now?
I do! I’ve published a book I have written. That’s my definition of a published author.
- What has this writing journey of yours taught you about yourself?
To write for myself and to keep writing.
- Do you think ‘GIFTED’ will emerge as a bestseller?
Oh, I don’t know. Before I would have said “Hell yes!” but that was before I focused on writing what I liked and not on what readers might like. So now I honestly don’t know. I just want people to read and enjoy GIFTED; that’s enough for me now.
- Many people including us can’t wait for you to pen down the second part of the Hayven Series. When is that going to happen?
I’m glad you’re excited! I sure am! I’ve started writing already, but it’s going to take a while! It may be later this year, but to be on the safe side I’ll say 2017!
- All those who received an advance reader’s copy of Gifted loved it a lot. Did you ever expect this?
Honestly, I really didn’t! I thought my first edition would be the one to do well because it’s what I thought readers wanted. This edition is all about what I want to read and I’m so glad others want to read it too. What more could I ask for?!
Want to know more about the upcoming sequel of the GIFTED, The Silver Orb?
Follow her blog and twitter for updates. Feel free to contact her in the following ways:
She loves hearing from readers!
Download a sample of GIFTED from Amazon: